Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Days 3 & 4

Question 1.a. Jerem. 1:4-10, 17-19

4 Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
6 Then I said, “Alas, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, because I am a youth.”
7 But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ because everywhere I send you, you shall go, and all that I command you, you shall speak.
8 “Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you,” declares the Lord.
9 Then the Lord stretched out His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me, “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.
10 “See, I have appointed you this day over the nations and over the kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.

17 “Now, gird up your loins and arise, and speak to them all which I command you. Do not be dismayed before them, or I will dismay you before them.
18 “Now behold, I have made you today as a fortified city and as a pillar of iron and as walls of bronze against the whole land, to the kings of Judah, to its princes, to its priests and to the people of the land.
19 “They will fight against you, but they will not overcome you, for I am with you to deliver you,” declares the Lord.

quest
1.b. Jeremiah 2:13
For My people have committed two evils. They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, to hew for themselves cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.


quest 1.c. Jeremiah 5:1-3.30-31, 6:13-15
1 “Roam to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and look now and take note. And seek in her open squares, if you can find a man, if there is one who does justice, who seeks truth, then I will pardon her.
2 “And although they say, ‘As the Lord lives,’ surely they swear falsely.
3 O Lord, do not Your eyes look for truth? You have smitten them, but they did not weaken; You have consumed them,but they refused to take correction. They have made their faces harder than rock; They have refused to repent.

30 “An appalling and horrible thing has happened in the land:
31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule on their own authority; And My people love it so! But what will you do at the end of it?

13 “For from the least of them even to the greatest of them, everyone is greedy for gain, and from the prophet even to the priest everyone deals falsely.
14 They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially, saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ but there is no peace.
15 “Were they ashamed because of the abomination they have done? They were not even ashamed at all; They did not even know how to blush. Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; At the time that I punish them, they shall be cast down,” says the Lord.

question 1.d. Jeremiah 14:13-16

13 But, "Ah, Lord God! I said, "Look, the prophets are telling them, "You will not see the sword nor will you have famine, but I will give you lasting peace in this place.'"
14 Then the Lord said to me, "The prophets are prophesying falsehood in My name. I have neither sent them nor commanded them nor spoken to them; they are prophesying to you a false vision, divination, futillity, and the deception of their own minds.
15 Therefore thus says the Lord concerning the prophets who are prophesying in My name, although it was not I who sent them--yet by sword and famine those prophets shall meet their end!
16 The people also to whom they are prophesying will be thrown out into the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and the sword; and there will be no one to bury them--neither them, nor their wives, nor their sons, nor their daughters--for I shall pour out their own wickedness on them.

question 1.e. Jeremiah 20:1-13
1 When Pashhur the priest, the son of Immer, who was chief officer in the house of the Lord, heard Jeremiah prophesying these things,
2 Pashhur had Jeremiah the prophet beaten, and put him in the stocks that were up at the Upper Benjamin Gate, which was by the house of the Lord.
3 Then it came about on the next day, when Passhur released Jeremiah from the stocks, that Jeremiah said to him, "Pashhur is not the name the Lord has called you, but rather "Magor-missabib.
4 "For thus says the Lord, 'Behold, I am going to make you a terror to yourself and to all your friends: and while your eyes look on,they will fall by the sword of their enemies. So I shall give over all Judah to the hand of the king of Babylon and he will carry them away as exiles to Babylon and will slay them with the sword.
5 I shall also give over all the wealth of this city, all its produce and all its costly things; even all the treasures of the kings of Judah. I
shall give over to the hand of their enemies, and they will plunder them, take them away, and bring them into Babylon.
6 And you, Pashhur, and all who live in your house will go into captivity; and there you will die, and there you will be buried, you and all your friends to whom you have falsely prophesied."
7 O Lord, Thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived; Thou hast overcome me and prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long; Everyone mocks me.
8 For each time I speak, I cry aloud; I proclaim violence and destruction, because for me the word of the Lord has resulted in reproach and derision all day long.
9 But if I say, I will not remember Him, or speak anymore in His name, then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire shut up in my bones; And I am weary of holding it in.
10 For I have heard the whispering of many, "Terror on every side! Denounce him, yes let us denounce him" All my trusted friends, watching for my fall, say, "Perhaps he will be deceived, so that we may prevail against him, and take our revenge on him.
11 But the Lord is with me like a dread champion; Therefore my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will be utterly ashamed, because they have failed, with an everlasting disgrace that will not be forgotten.
12 Yet, O Lord of hosts Thou who dost test the righteous, who sees the mind and the heart; Let me see Thy vengance on them; for to Thee I have set forth my cause.
13 Sing to the Lord, praise the Lord! For He has delivered the soul of the needy one from the hand of evildoers.

1 Cor. 4:1-5

1 Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.

2 In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy,

3 But to me it is a very small thing that I should be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself.

4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted, but the one who examines me is the Lord.

5 Therefore, do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each men's praise will come to him from God.

Quest. 1.f. Jeremiah 16-40

16 Thus says the Lord of hosts, "Do not listen to the words of the prophets who are prophesying to you. They are leading you into futility; They speak a vision of their own imagination, not from the mouth of the Lord.

17 They keep saying to those who despise Me, "The Lord has said,"You will have peace; And as for everyone who walks in the stubbornness of his own heart. They say, 'Calamity will not come upon you'

18 "But who has stood in the council of the Lord, that he should see and hear His word? Who has given heed to His word and listened?

19 Behold, the storm of the Lord has gone forth in wrath, even a whirling tempest; it will swirl down on the head of the wicked.

20 "The anger of the Lord will not turn back until He has performed and carried out the purposes of His heart: In the last days you will clearly understand it.

21 "I did not send these prophets, but they ran. I did not speak to them , but they prophesied.

22 But if they had stood in My counsel, then they would have announced My words to My people, and would have turned them back from their evil way and from the evil of their deeds.

23 Am I a God who is near," declares the Lord, and not a God far off?

24 Can a man hide himself in hiding places , so I do not see him?" declares the Lord.Do I not fill the heavens and the earth? declares the Lord.

25 I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy falsely in My name, saying "I had a dream, I had a dream!

26 How long? Is there anything in the heart of the prophets who prophesy falsehood even these prophets of the deception of their own heart.

27 who intend to make My people forget My name by their dreams which they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot My name because of Baal?

28"The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has My word speak My word in truth. What does the straw have in common with grain?" declares the Lord.

29 "Is not My word like fire?" declared the Lord, " and like a hammer which shatters a rock?

30 Therefore behold, I am against the prophets," declares the Lord." who steal My words from each other.

31 Behold, I am against the prophets", declares the Lord, who use their tongues and declare, 'The Lord declares.'

32 Behold, I am against those who have prophesied false dreams, " declares the Lord, and related them, and led My people astray by their falsehoods and reckless boasting; yet I did not send them or command them, nor do they furnish this people the slightest benefit," declares the Lord.

33 "Now when this people or the prophet or priest asks you saying, "What is the oracle of the Lord?" then you shall say to them, "What oracle?" The Lord declares, I shall abandon you.'

34 "Then as for the prophet or the priest or the people who say,'The oracle of the Lord,' I shall bring punishment upon that man and his household.

35 "Thus shall each of you say to his neightbor and to his brother, 'What has the Lord answered?' or, 'What has the Lord spoken?'

36 " For you will no longer remember the oracle of the Lord, because every man's own word will become the oracle, and you have perverted the words of the living God, the Lord of hosts, our God.

37 Thus you will say to that prophet, "What has the Lord answered you?" and, 'What has the Lord spoken?"

38 "For if you say, 'The oracle of the Lord!" surely thus say the Lord, because you said this word, "The oracle of the Lord!" I have also sent to you, saying, "You shall not say,'The oracle of the Lord!'"

39 "Therefore behold, I shall surely forget you and cast you away from My presence, along with the city which I have you and your fathers.

40 "and I will put an everlasting reproach on you and an everlasting humiliation which will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment